Agency 5-Year Plan
Assure governance framework supports the Board's mission and vision
Description: Processes for defining and delivering good decisions and leadership for the good of the public as a whole through the regulation of the practice of nursing and the approval of nursing education programs.
- Ensure board members are educated on principles of governance;
- Improve evidenced based decision making by integrating data driven processes;
- Enhance communication between the Board and consumers, key stakeholders and Advisory Committees to support change and innovation for improved public protection;
- Develop educational outreach activities related to nursing regulation
License/certify only qualified nurses and nursing assistants that assures public safety
Description: Assuring only qualified individuals are licensed or certified and have the basic educational preparation to practice safely.
- Improve processes for licensure/certification;
- Implement "promising practices" from the National Council State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) Commitment to Ongoing Excellence research; c). Maximize use of technology for licensing applications/verifications;
- Implement electronic finger printing process;
- Implement legislation in 2019 for the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) Compact
Investigate unsafe or incompetent nurses and licensed/certified nursing assistants; remediate or remove from practice
Description: Regulation-Enforcement, Discipline & CANDO Program.
Enforcing scope and standards of practice of licensed nurses and licensed/certified nursing assistants.
- Provide for an effective alternative to discipline under the program for nurses who have substance abuse disorders (CANDO) and other psychiatric/medical issues;
- Update disciplinary guidelines for consistent sanctions utilizing evidence based regulation and precedents;
- Improve processes for investigations and compliance;
- Provide for an effective probationary period for those that need monitoring due to licensing conditions;
- Promote evidenced based regulation and practice breakdown research that provides for public protection.
Review and approve or sanction nursing education programs consistent with Board rules
Description: Nursing Education Program Initial & Continuing Program Approval.
Enforcing standards to promote the preparation of qualified candidates for licensure & certification.
- Review and improve educational rules that guides quality education regardless of educational delivery method;
- Review and approve or sanction nursing educational programs consistent with Board rules;
- Support statewide conferences to enhance competencies of nursing program faculty;
- Review and investigate nursing program complaints and, evaluate for trends; report to nursing programs as is appropriate;
- Obtain program admission and completion data and partner with programs/facilities to address issues;
- Identify research topics related to nursing regulation and develop strategies to conduct research.
Ensure nursing regulations are up-to-date and reflect state of the art & science of practice.
Description: The current trends in public policy, the nursing practice, and education.
Solutions: Monitor trends in public policy, nursing practice, and education and make amendments to the Nurse Practice Act, ensuring that the State's nursing statutes and rules reflect contemporary practice.
|FY2021 Estimate||FY2022 Estimate||FY2023 Estimate|
|Full-Time Equivalent Positions||57.5||57.5||57.5|
|Other Appropriated Funds||4,860.5||4,860.5||4,860.5|