Next Committee Meeting Day and Time:
Work Group Agenda
How to Listen to the Meeting
To listen to this meeting by phone:
dial: +1 601-552-3126
and enter this PIN: 896 379 377#
Please mute your phone/microphone upon entry.
Download the meeting minutes from the Scope of Practice Committee meetings. Note: For minutes older than 3 years please email us.
An audio recording of this committee meeting will be made available within three days of the meeting.
Scope of Practice Committee Meeting Public Notice and Agenda
The purpose of the Scope of Practice committee is to draw together a diverse membership, including but not limited to staff, nurses, administrators, and faculty members, which represent various healthcare settings throughout the state. The Committee responds to questions regarding scope of practice which are assigned by the Board or which arise when questions are received from the public. Issues relating to LPNs and RNs are addressed in the Scope of Practice committee. (Nursing Assistant issues are referred to the Scope of Practice consultant).
Examples of the work product of the committee are found in the Advisory Opinions, i.e. Statements developed by the committee and approved by the Board. Advisory Opinions are developed to guide nursing practice in relation to a specific nursing activity.
Agendas will be posted at least 24 hours before the meeting and will remain until the next agenda is posted. The committee meets 4 times a year. Meeting times are 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Meetings are held in a Board Room at the Board of Nursing Office and are open to the public.
The Goals are:
- Review and Revise current advisory opinions.
- Respond to the changing health care environment by addressing scope of practice issues and developing advisory opinions when appropriate.
- Discuss and deliberate scope of practice issues when requested and make recommendations to the Board regarding specific issues.
2024 Meeting Schedule
Committee Meeting Dates
February 12, 2024
April 29, 2024
August 26, 2024
November 4, 2024
Work Group Meeting Dates
Committee Members 2021 – 2023
Carolyn Jo McCormies, RN, MSN, FNP-BC, Board President
Shareedah Al-Hark, LPN
Shannon Bitza, DNP, AGPCNP-BC, AGACNP-BC
Marla Moore, RN, BSN, MA
Amber K. Drake, MSN, RN, NE-BC
Angie Bannochie, RNC-NIC, BSN
Belinda Weiss, MSN, RN
Bridget Gessel, RN
Christine Aliory, MSN, APRN, BC, CURN, ONC
Crystal Weikel, PhD, RN, NE-BC
Cyndi Luciano, DNP, RN, MSN, MBA
Cynthia Sprinkle RN, MSN-Ed, CEN, TCRN
Debbie Barrett-Bryson, BSN, MSN-Ed, MHA, RNC-OB, CCE, CCM
Dorie Rush, MSN, BSN, RN
Doug Mitchell, MSN, RN, BC, CPHQ, CPHRM
Fernando Trinidad, LPN, MS
Heather Burton, MSN, RN
Kim Day, RN, DNP, CHSE
Kim Ponthieux, MSN, RN
Nancy Denke, DNP, ACNP-BC, FNP-BC, FAEN
Scarlett Pegram, RN, BSN, CCRN, TNS, FNE
Shelley Vaughn, DNP, FNP-BC
Sherrie Palmieri, DNP, MBA, RN, CNE, CPHQ
Tamara Wisely, DNP, FNP-BC, WHNP-BC
Tim Porter O'Grady, DM, EdD, ScD, APRN, FAAN, FACCWS
Tracy Thomas, MSN, APRN, CCRN, TCRN, ACNS-BC
Yvonne Graber, RN, MSN, CCRN, NEA-BC
Scope of Practice Committee Membership Expectations
- Attends at least 6 out of 8 scheduled meetings
- Commits to reading SOP packet prior to the scheduled meetings.
- Serves on a subcommittee for review of a minimum of 3 advisory opinions each year.
- Serves as “lead person” on at least 1 of the Advisory Opinion reviews in my first term of membership on the SOP committee, and once per year in my second term, if reappointed by the Board.
- Provides feedback to their facility staff /administration about new/revised advisory opinions that the Board has approved.
- Consistently gathers input from various units within their facility about what the nursing staff / administration/policies currently include and/or what staff suggest that should be considered for inclusion, regarding advisory opinions that are currently being reviewed.
- As lead person completes “Review of Advisory Opinion Worksheet” (attached) to keep sub- committee members fully informed of assignments, responsible persons, and critical submission dates.
- As lead person, makes sure that draft advisory opinion changes and educational information for the SOP packet are submitted on or before the established date for inclusion in the packet.
- Is an active RN or LPN in good standing.