Next Committee Meeting Day and Time:
How to Listen to the Meeting
To join this meeting by phone:
Please mute your phone/microphone upon entry
Download the meeting minutes from the Scope of Practice Committee meetings. Note: For minutes older than 3 years please email us.
Scope of Practice Committee Meeting Public Notice and Agenda
The purpose of the Scope of Practice committee is to draw together a diverse membership, including but not limited to, staff nurses, administrators and faculty members, which represent various health care settings throughout the state.
The Committee responds to questions regarding scope of practice which are assigned by the Board or which arise when questions are received from the public. Issues relating to LPNs and RNs are addressed in this committee (Nursing Assistant issues are referred to the Scope of Practice consultant). Examples of the work product of the committee are found in the Advisory Opinions, i.e. statements developed by the committee and approved by the Board. Advisory Opinions are developed to guide nursing practice in relation to a specific nursing activity
Agendas will be posted at least 24 hours before the meeting and will remain until the next agenda is posted. Meetings are open to the public.
The Goals are:
- Review and Revise current advisory opinions.
- Respond to the changing health care environment by addressing scope of practice issues and developing advisory opinions when appropriate.
- Discuss and deliberate scope of practice issues when requested and make recommendations to the Board regarding specific issues.
2021 Meeting Schedule
June 1, 2021 - Board Room B
August 31, 2021 - Board Room B
November 30, 2021 - Board Room C
Committee Members 2019 – 2021
Elizabeth Boyer RN, BSN, Board Member
Ceclia Anderson, RN, BSN, Board Member
Judy Bontrager, RN, MN
Ruth Kish, RN, MN
Joey Ridenour, RN, MN, Executive Director
Alexander Woodruff, RN, MSN, CCRN
Andrea Walters, BAN,RN,CPAN
Angela Miranda, MSN,RN
Angie Bannochie, RNC-NIC, BSN
Ashley Lax, RN, BSN, CANS
Beth Nillen, RN, BSN, *JD Inactive status while pursuing nursing
Cyndi Luciano, RN, MSN, MBA
Debbie Barrett-Bryson, BSN, MSN-Ed, MHA, RNC-OB, CCE, CCM
Eileen Smith, MSN, ACNS-BC, RN-BC
Fernando Trinidad, LPN, MS, Public Health
Jane Sederstrom, MSN, RN, CCRN, AGCNS-BC
Jennifer Ernst, MSN, MS, RN, GCNS-BC
Josienne Prinz, RN, MSN, MHA, CCRN
Kim Day, DNP, RN
Lorenza “Lori” Villegas-Murphy, MSN, RN
Marie Murray, RN, BSN, CCRN, MS NED
Robert Wallace, RN, MSN
Sherrie Palmieri, DNP, MBA, RN, CNE, CPHQ
Sheryl Parfitt, MSN, RNC-OB
Scope of Practice Committee Membership Expectations
- Attends at least 6 out of 8 scheduled meetings
- Commits to reading SOP packet prior to the scheduled meetings.
- Serves on a subcommittee for review of a minimum of 3 advisory opinions each year.
- Serves as “lead person” on at least 1 of the Advisory Opinion reviews in my first term of membership on the SOP committee, and once per year in my second term, if reappointed by the Board.
- Provides feedback to their facility staff /administration about new/revised advisory opinions that the Board has approved.
- Consistently gathers input from various units within their facility about what the nursing staff / administration/policies currently include and/or what staff suggest that should be considered for inclusion, regarding advisory opinions that are currently being reviewed.
- As lead person completes “Review of Advisory Opinion Worksheet” (attached) to keep sub- committee members fully informed of assignments, responsible persons, and critical submission dates.
- As lead person, makes sure that draft advisory opinion changes and educational information for the SOP packet are submitted on or before the established date for inclusion in the packet.
- Is an active RN or LPN in good standing.