|Purpose:||The Scope of Practice committee draws together a diverse membership, including but not limited to, staff nurses, administrators and faculty members, which represent various health care settings throughout the state. The Committee responds to questions regarding scope of practice which are assigned by the Board or which arise when questions are received from the public. Issues relating to LPNs and RNs are addressed in this committee (Nursing Assistant issues are referred to the Scope of Practice consultant). Examples of the work product of the committee are found in the Advisory Opinions, i.e. statements developed by the committee and approved by the Board. Advisory Opinions are developed to guide nursing practice in relation to a specific nursing activity|
|Download the Agenda:||To be posted two weeks prior to meeting|
Download the Minutes:
COMMITTEE MEMBERS 2019 – 2021
Elizabeth Boyer RN, BSN – Board Member
Ceclia Anderson, RN, BSN - Board Member
Judy Bontrager, RN, MN – Board Staff
Ruth Kish, RN, MN – Board Staff
Joey Ridenour, RN, MN – Executive Director, Board Staff
Alexander Woodruff, RN, MSN, CCRN
Andrea Walters, BAN,RN,CPAN
Angela Miranda, MSN,RN
Angie Bannochie, RNC-NIC, BSN
Ashley Lax, RN, BSN, CANS
Beth Nillen, RN, BSN, *JD Inactive status while pursuing nursing
Cyndi Luciano, RN, MSN, MBA
Debbie Barrett-Bryson, BSN, MSN-Ed, MHA, RNC-OB, CCE, CCM
Eileen Smith, MSN, ACNS-BC, RN-BC
Fernando Trinidad, LPN, MS, Public Health
Jane Sederstrom, MSN, RN, CCRN, AGCNS-BC
Jennifer Ernst, MSN, MS, RN, GCNS-BC
Josienne Prinz, RN, MSN, MHA, CCRN
Kim Day, DNP, RN
Lorenza “Lori” Villegas-Murphy, MSN, RN
Marie Murray, RN, BSN, CCRN, MS NED
Robert Wallace, RN, MSN
Sherrie Palmieri, DNP, MBA, RN, CNE, CPHQ
Sheryl Parfitt, MSN, RNC-OB
- Attends at least 6 out of 8 scheduled meetings
- Commits to reading SOP packet prior to the scheduled meetings.
- Serves on a subcommittee for review of a minimum of 3 advisory opinions each year.
- Serves as “lead person” on at least 1 of the Advisory Opinion reviews in my first term of membership on the SOP committee, and once per year in my second term, if reappointed by the Board.
- Provides feedback to their facility staff /administration about new/revised advisory opinions that the Board has approved.
- Consistently gathers input from various units within their facility about what the nursing staff / administration/policies currently include and/or what staff suggest that should be considered for inclusion, regarding advisory opinions that are currently being reviewed.
- As lead person completes “Review of Advisory Opinion Worksheet” (attached) to keep sub- committee members fully informed of assignments, responsible persons, and critical submission dates.
- As lead person, makes sure that draft advisory opinion changes and educational information for the SOP packet are submitted on or before the established date for inclusion in the packet.
- Is an active RN or LPN in good standing.
The committee has a rich and diverse membership, which includes nurses from various population foci and specialties throughout the state. Examples of the work produced by the committee may be found on the Arizona State Board of Nursing website at azbn.gov under the Scope Of Practice tab and then under Advisory Opinions.
The committee meets a minimum of four times per, usually in March, June, September, and December. The meetings are generally held from 10 a.m. - 2p.m. in a Conference Room at the Arizona Board of Nursing, located at 1740 West Adams, Suite 2000, in Phoenix.
If you are interested in applying to serve as a volunteer on the AZBN Scope of Practice Committee, please submit your resume via email "[email protected]" or U.S mail to Judy Bontrager, RN.MN. Arizona Board of Nursing, 1740 West Adams, Suite 2000 Phoenix,Arizona 85007 by March 15, 2021. Email interviews will be conducted in March and April. The Board will appoint new and returning committee members at the May 2021 Board Meeting.